Tuesday 4 October 2011

Cold, cold water surrounds me now

Plumber turned up just after noon to check the boiler, in his professional opinion it's fucked. Apparently he told the landlady last year that she needed to replace it but she clearly didn't listen! So we still have no hot water. Later in the afternoon someone rang Jenni and said they'd called round to look at the boiler but no-one was in, clearly the landlady arranged for more than one person to come but didn't bother to tell us so we went out after the first one. Someone else is coming on Wednesday morning - 8.30am!!! - so I'm going to have to get up and let them in because people are going out tomorrow night and there's no-one the others will be sober enough to get up. Wish me luck with that...

.........

Fresher's fair today. Well the bit of it that didn't have a massive queue. Joined university Labour and Conservative societies, the Feminists (they're going to hate me), Lush (uni radio) and the Politics Society having been dragged by a guy on my course who told me it was necessary. Also signed away my soul to the cinema, god knows what I signed but I got free popcorn so I don't care! Off back tomorrow with a mate who couldn't make it today and I'm signing up for Public Speaking, Leicester Model UN (I really want to be somewhere random and tiny but make a massive deal about it) and the Ripple (uni mag). Might join some other things I see but I'm determined to sign up to more exiting things this year as opposed to last. I'm also trying to build up some confidence to start a Lib Dem society next year, probably not this year as people are still pissed over tuition fees plus I'm a bit unorganised (and Liberal Youth are ridiculously annoying and, in my experience, incompetent).

.........

It's not really politics but it is news, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have had their murder convctions overturned. I'm glad and not particularly surprised, as pathetic and circus-esque as the Italian legal system is it could hardly fail to overturn based on such compromised evidence as led to these convictions. Twitter exploded with rage against the Daily Mail after it accidently posted an article written in case the appeals were rejected. While anger against the Daily Mail is a fairly normal emotion for me and I can certainly understand it in others but I would be willing to bet money that most news sites had written two articles. The Daily Mail's crime, for a change, wasn't homophobia or racist it was computer illiteracy, nothing that requires an outpouring of anger from the Twitterarti!

No comments:

Post a Comment