Friday 30 September 2011

Lazing on a sunny afternoon, in the... winter time??

So politics first, for a change. I'm currently in the middle of a 'debate' (I'm right, he's wrong, 'debate' is just me being polite) with a guy on Twitter over Michael Gove's plans to teach languages to children as young as five. My fellow politics student - whose favourite topic happens to be education policy -  believes that while languages are important, 5 is too young to be learning them. A person is most receptive to learning between the ages of 3 and 5 years and the New York Times has reported that anyone who starts speaking a language after the age of 10 will never be as proficient as those who begin learning before that age so why shouldn't foreign languages taught from primary school?

I actually wish I had been taught languages from an early age, I didn't start French until I was at school and I didn't enjoy it because it was taught from a textbook.Although I hope to learn Russian through university this year I feel I would have been better equipped for it if I had started learning earlier. Plus I was always envious of other schools in my area who got to choose other languages at secondary level beyond the standard French and German. As Chris Bryant said French is a 'useless' modern language.

Just had another tweet containing the phrase 'or Latin as Gove would have it!', this now leads me to believe that a small part of his dislike for the policy is class-based and there is a perception someone that the Tories want everyone to learn Latin (I realise some - Boris Johnson for example) do.
.........

On a personal note, my mother came to visit bearing cake that her friend had gotten up especially to bake for us this morning. Needless to say chocolate cake with whipped cream and raspberries was very well received by all my housemates :)


Spent the day with my mother shopping and drinking a ridiculous amount of liquids because the weather this year has decided to fuck us over. Just as all the shops and getting out jumpers and coats the weather goes 'fuck that shit' and turns the temperature up by about 20 degrees. Well bugger that weather, I like jumpers! Give me back my normal British winter of snow and ice!

Please...

No comments:

Post a Comment